Wednesday, July 3, 2013

First Impressions: Luang Prabang, Laos

No more Bangkok johns.  Back to squatting!
Luang Prabang, Laos.  I've finally made it.  Worth it?  The jury is still out.

As the last country I'll visit in Southeast Asia, it's hard not to compare.  The coffee was better in Vietnam.  The food was better in Thailand.  Cambodia had more interesting eco-tourism.  What's it gonna be, Laos?  You're already more expensive than any of those three.  Even renting a motorbike is $20/day!  What gives?

While changing some Baht into Kip, I received a 5000kip note at the bottom of the stack when I should have received a 50,000kip note.  It would have been easy to take what she gave me and dash off but I noticed it, so I said "shouldn't I get..." and she quickly smiled and said "woops!  Sorry about that!" And gave me the 50,000 note.  Just avoiding scams left and right!

What I have enjoyed about Laos is the laid back atmosphere.  I still haven't seen anyone give a hoot about anything except bottle cap checkers and lunchtime dramas on the tube.  The vendors don't even care when you walk away from their booth after talking to them for five minutes.

No cops, security guards nap in front of ATMs, and no one yells at you to buy things.

The night market in front of Haw Pha Bang Temple



A definite highlight of Luang Prabang happens at 5pm every day.  The night market is one of the best I've seen, with art, crafts and souvenirs unique to Laos.  There was only one item that I had already seen in a different country, everything else was new and tempting.  I kept my purchases rational, picking up a traditional Laotian-style skirt and a bracelet.  There are sooo many other things that I wanted, though.  Scarves, dresses, necklaces, notebooks with hand-painted covers - they're all so beautiful.


Another thing Laos does well are yummy fruit shakes and crepes.  I ordered a mini lime shake and a  banana-nutella crepe.  Drool.  Perhaps I haven't given Laos enough of a chance.  I may stay in the country a little longer than planned and re-route my way back down to Bangkok.




No comments:

Post a Comment