Thursday, June 13, 2013

On the road in Phnom Penh


I told myself I wasn't going to compare Vietnam with the other countries that I visit in SE Asia, and I'm conscientiously not stooping to some backpackers' generalizations to culture or a people as a whole!...God forbid, BUT, I must quickly note, that I am loving the transportation in Phnom Penh, in contrast to Vietnam.  Not only is it cheaper, but much more comfortable and appears slightly more sane on the daredevil motorbike aspect.


I can't love on the tuk tuks and their drivers here enough.  The carts are attached to motorbikes, not bicycles, and you're sitting under a tassel-lined covering on a padded seat, enjoying the views of the city as your very friendly driver attempts to take you somewhere near your requested destination.  Although I was told that English is much more widely used here, it seems that even the tuk tuk drivers have some difficulty with specific streets or addresses if they aren't one of the well known landmarks.

School bus tuk tuk?

In Vietnam, helmets are required, and I fully supported this law.  In Cambodia, however, helmets are "required" if you know what I mean.  So when I hopped side-saddle onto a mototaxi instead of a tuk tuk this evening, (sometimes, a girl's gotta wear a dress) my moto driver didn't have a second helmet, and off we went!  So not only was I hanging off the side of the seat with no back bar to hang onto, I was brain protection-less!  Although the driving seems less chaotic here, I was happy to hop off and hand him 3,000 riel (75 cents) for the last moto ride I'll probably be taking.  I think I'll stick to my beloved tuk tuks...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kelsey!
    I am so happy I finally found your blog. I'm glad it took me so long because I'm not good at "waiting" for the next chapter. However, I have learned much about stopping and breathing and "seeing" in the last two days of reading. I could not imagine the journey and friends you have made. Your trusting and open heart has given you immeasurable wealth this past year. Look forward to hearing of your adventures in person soon. Donna W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna! I'm trying to keep up with one-a-day so you should have to wait too long for new installments :) Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy beans, it really WAS flooded when you arrived!
    Don't give up on the motodop just yet Kelsey, they're cheaper and much more fun! I always feel like a rebel without a cause on the back of a moto. Plus there's nothing like straddling a stranger, hahaha, crikey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have plenty of straddling experience haha and a moto of my own that I am missing big time right now...I just prefer to ride, especially when I have no control, with a helmet :) The tuk tuk drivers are quite aggressive in Siem Reap; the slow season has a big effect on tourism earnings.

      Delete