Friday, June 7, 2013

Getting Lost in Đà Lạt


My last trip in Vietnam was to the southern part of the central highlands in a popular destination for lovers called Đà Lạt.  My friend Dyanne (TravelnLass) helped me obtain a motorbike within an hour of arriving and I knew that I was destined for fabulous rambles over my four-day-stay.  This bike was more powerful than my DaNang steed -a whole 125CCs!

With Dyanne working at her language school in town, I hunted down a map of Đà Lạt, stuffed it into my bag and proceeded to drive down a street I didn't know.  (There were many of them at this point).  
After grabbing lunch at a local spot, I looked at the map to see where I was.  Gaining a general sense of cardinals, I headed South toward a pagoda that Tripadvisor recommended.  I never found the #1 rated Pagoda that day, but I eventually ended up on a road that was packed with them, and serendipitous meetings and sights ensued, mostly due to a flexible day of intentionally getting lost.

You don't always find what you're looking for, but if you keep your eyes and your mind open, you sometimes find something better.  The following day, glued to my map and scrutinizing every road sign, I finally found the originally desired destination.  Littered with tourists, it was no where near as cool as the previous day of rambles.  

In the unknown is where you're tested, humbled, and eventually uncover more about your surroundings and yourself than you'd planned.  Let go!  



No comments:

Post a Comment