Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ouchie Everything


As it turns out, being sick while living abroad can be a bit distressing.  As a teacher of four years in the States, I have had my fair share of illnesses and built up quite an immunity, but there’s always room for more!
Waking up in a sweat with body aches, sore throat and a headache, my mind immediately raced back to recent water cooler chats about mosquito adventures in SE Asia.

“Holy crap I have Dengue Fever!”

Melodrama aside, Dengue is a very real possibility here and no, there are no vaccinations currently available.  The only proactive measure that can be taken is mosquito avoidance.

After a full day in bed and the following morning bringing no sign of relief, I researched the only clinic in Da Nang with a Western doctor.  When it comes to describing symptoms and receiving advice in return, I’d rather not be lost in translation.  Plus, I’ve heard there are some fun and some not-so-fun hospitals in Vietnam.  I was aiming for the fun variety.

My sweetheart of a friend Paul took me to the clinic on a sunny Tuesday afternoon.  It’s kind of funny riding on a motorbike when you’re dizzy.  Almost feels like you’re flying.  We made it there and were the only two in the building with the medical staff.  I didn’t even need an appointment!

This happens all the time! –Said no patient ever.

I filled out a short questionnaire and the doctor saw me right away.  The rooms, floors, equipment and overall essence of this clinic radiated sanitary.  After a quick check-up, she said with certainty “Strep!”  (Phew! Strep-1, Dengue-0)  She asked me if I wanted to buy my medication in a pharmacy outside the clinic because it would be cheaper.  “How much cheaper?”  “Considerably!”  So I said yes.  Any major <affordable> travel insurance wouldn’t have covered this doctor visit and the insurance linked with my school only covers in-patient medical, so I was curious how much damage I racked up in 20 minutes with this very nice English-fluent doctor.  $59 USD.  Not too horrible.  And the three medicines?   $15.  Anyone with lots of medical problems and not a lot of money, I recommend moving to a country like this.  Many medicines you can purchase without even seeing a doctor, you just need to be sure to check the dosage very carefully. 
And this is why you should always finish your antibiotics.


After getting back home, I still had a 102F temp and a demon living in my throat, so I went back to bed and my incredibly loving roomie got me big bottles of water and cooed sweet texts from work.  After a few days of rest and meds, my throat functions quite well.

After watching the…eccentric…Doomsday Preppers on Nat Geo Asia, I figured I’d better get on with my Dengue prepping as suggested by a co-worker.  Little did I know, the eye-sore mob of fabric hanging above my bed is not only a snazzy bed accessory, but indeed a skeeter net!  Tomorrow I’ll see what deceased presents might be bundled up in it, wash and hang it.  Photos to follow.   

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I am glad it wasn't that nasty Dengue Fever. Good to hear you are healing well. Please take preventative measures! We want you to be returning home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete