Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Room to Spare

My stepmom got me these rockin' tags
You know those super fun lessons that you have the good fortune of learning "the hard way"?  I've had plenty of those, and although I'm sure "the hard way" may make for a few good stories, when it comes to my stuff, I don't mess around.  I want all of my things on my person at all times, and this means that I will only be traveling with carry-on bags.  This mode of travel is way superior to checking luggage for so many reasons:



  • Your eyes and your self can be attached to your belongings while in transit.
  • When getting to the airport, you can proceed directly to security, which is actually unfortunate, because everyone queuing in line looks like they're having the time of their lives.
  • In the transitions I'll be taking from Chicago -> Los Angeles -> Seoul -> Hanoi -> train to Da Nang, there won't be bulky luggage tripping up my swagger and I can walk freely.
  • The probability of the airlines losing my bags is nonexistent.
  • I won't be bringing tons of stuff I don't need.  



The last one is the kicker.
I think many travelers bring so much more than they ever use or really need because simply, they can.  A larger bag/luggage supports lots of belongings, and feels awkward when not full.  As one blogger put it, there is fun in the challenge of tetris packing a smaller bag.  




How many liters? 

I carry the Osprey 48L which typically wouldn't be a carry-on but I only pack it 80% full and tie down hard.  This way I can add things to it after flights if I like.  This pack also has a groovy rain cover built into its own pouch which will come in handy if I use the pack during monsoon season.  

These lips don't lie, they're taken care of



So what's in this backpack? (Technically two)

A website I frequent, matador, does a series of articles on what their nomadic editors carry with them.  I’ve enjoyed all these pack lists because they’ve given me good ideas for my pack.  Now, I’m no expert by any means, but over the years I’ve become pretty efficient with bringing what I need and packin’ it tight. 
But what do I need for a year+ of life in foreign lands?  In all reality and admissions, I could have brought less.


Clothes
I find what works best is using two compression bags for larger items like pants and rolling all the smaller items like tanks.

Electronics
Samsung Series 3 - 12.5" Laptop (3 lbs!)
Samsung WB150F: 18x zoom, 14.2 mega pix, WiFi point and shoot
Kindle
Grandpa iPod
Headlamp

The Downfall
Shoes.
My research tells me that Vietnamese women are quite smaller than the average American gal.  This means that my womens size 9 shoes are borderline Bigfoot status, which makes me nervous.  
Yes, my deepest, most sincere apologies for anyone I've made fun of for wearing Chacos.
You were right.  They are amazing.  





Gallon size Ziplocs.  I don't know how I traveled before discovering their many purposes.  


1 comment:

  1. So agree. Carry-on only is the ONLY way ta go.

    Only problem I might have w/ your 48L tie-down? The temptation to exceed the "80%". I mean, I'm human after all, and if there's a smidge of air in there - I'm likely to fill it. ;)

    And yes, Ziplocs. That and... my numero uno packing must-have: ear plugs. Bitty, super light, and oh so handy for...

    dawn roosters
    ditto dawn barking dogs
    ditto pre-dawn calls-to-prayer
    3 am gap-year hostel parties.

    I rest my case. ;)

    ReplyDelete