Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Nerves, Acceptance, and Goodbyes: the ChronicWHATcles of Vietnam

I have been seriously planning this move for nine months, and it's amazing what hasn't hit me until a week before departure.  I am moving to Vietnam.
The words sound much different than they feel.

So what's this blog all about, and who am I?  Thinking someone will read it...
Since blogging hit norm status, I haven't quite been in the loop on their purpose, but I've come to realize that a blog can comunicate a number of ideas, and relate differently to every reader.  over the past few months, I have definitely enjoyed reading a number of travel bloggers' posts which have given valuable advice and comical anecdotes of fortunes and missteps.  If, at the end, my mom is the only one reading my entries, I'll be ok with it.


I'm writing this thang to inspire my friends, my family, and the strangers who stumble on it.  I'm giving voice to a choice that is tangible.  I'm giving thanks to all the Vietnam and SE Asia adventure bloggers who have given me strength that I too, can make this happen, so I hope to help pass the torch.  In the very least, I hope that through my daily life and rambles, I can portray a life in a country that readers may not know a lot about.

Who put that whale plaque in there
While reading several How to not Sound like a Jerk in your Travel Writing articles on Matador (www.matadornetwork.com), I started to understand how much this blog is for me as well.  To remember, to reflect, and to chronicle these every days so that I can look back and smile.  I hope to document the fulfillment of several personal goals, such as growing more independence and conquering fear of the unknown.  Gaining monk-like patience for sticky situations.  Finding and feeling a multitude of connections between two very different cultures.  Knowing myself better.
[Aaaand hopefully seeing and doing some cool stuff along the way]  

Don't believe me when I tell you I'm not nervous.  I suspect I won't fully feel the weight of goodbyes until I'm across the pond, and I don't look forward to that weight dropping.  Right now I have a week 1/2 left with my Chicago familiar, and I'm enjoying it.

1 comment:

  1. Mike and I will be reading. May God be with you in all you do. Remember where home is.

    ReplyDelete