Thursday, May 2, 2013

Extreme Team Building

(Not my pic) Here's what happens on the ramp
My HR person at my work (who is like my Vietnamese mom here) organized a team-building outing to..er...well... the motivations weren't clear but the flyer said rafting so I said YES!  As you no doubt have noticed in previous posts, things are done a little differently in Vietnam than in most western countries.  Planning is usually amiss, sanitation is not always a top-three consideration, and common sense safety is just about out the window for most activities.  These three conditions in particular should have tipped me off to the inherent risks a new rafting outfit may present, but as a full time employee, my company was willing to pay for the whole day and vouch for my general well being during the trip.  Let's go!


Hòa Phú Thành is about 40 minutes outside of Da Nang city and accessible by motorbike or bus.  We hired a van taxi to take 19 of us to the rafting site.  Upon arrival, the throng of rafters I was expecting wasn't there.  We had the place all to ourselves!  After about ten necessary group shots of us in gazebos, us near the river, us in life vests, and us on a stage with the rafting company on a banner behind us, we got ready to board a bus to take us the 2km down river where we would put our lives into large inflatable rafts.  

My great friend Andy and I decided that we would be in a raft together.  We boarded, put our feet on a ridge in the middle of the raft, grabbed tight onto the handles, and were pushed down a steep, metal rolling ramp into the waiting pond, where we would then be dumped into the river.  The cool, fresh water felt heavenly.  

Andy and I were the first out of the gate and laughed at the impending kiddie "rapids" that we were about to meet.  Besides, we didn't even have paddles - how rough could it get?  

At first the river was reasonably wide, maybe twenty feet, but soon after beginning, we saw the water pick up speed and large boulders began jutting out of both sides.  We exchanged "Ready?!"s and held on.  
(Not my pic) One of the rapids

"Woooo!"
*Conk*
*Ah!*
*Really??*
"HOLY CRAP!!"

We made it through the first of the rapids and realized, this ain't no kiddie operation.  There were no "in case of death..." waivers or even English translation of instructions.  We were their first month greenhorns and team building an evasion from death!  
Every time we saw a guy waiting at a particular drop or turn, we knew that there was a good chance that our raft wouldn't naturally be able to get through whatever situation the guy was watching over.  One time, we saw a guy point to our helmets and motion to "duck"  during the next rapids.  If Andy hadn't have ducked at the appropriate time, his head would have smashed into a boulder hanging low overhead of where we were barreling through.  
At one point, we dropped over what had to be about a two meter fall and gravity overcame my every intention to stay on my side of the raft.  I smashed right into Andy (thankfully no tender areas) and, through a nose full of river water and glasses hanging by one ear, noticed I'd also lost part of my toe nail in the debacle.    Yikes! 

In between the death falls, the calm parts of the river really allowed us to take in the vast beauty around us.  Green mountains and hills surrounded the valley river and aside from our bright yellow raft and fellow team builders, everything was so untouched and alive.  At the end of the trip, my boss said that this place could become really beautiful if they would build more booths and accommodations for the customers.  I knew that her opinion was probably shared by many, given the earnings this place was sure to draw in and Da Nang's hunger to extend eco-tourism.  It's really too bad.  On the other hand, it's hard to ignore the immense risk this river ride boasts and I can't see a clean track record being remotely possible.  
After rafting, we enjoyed lunch amidst the sounds of an afternoon downpour.  Some of our group napped, some played poker, and I could be found on the far end of the platform, reading my Kindle in the most peaceful state my mind is capable.  It was an incredible afternoon.  


On the way home we all agreed that this place is one (or two) injuries/deaths away from getting shut down

...and we better hit it up one more time before that happens!   

(Not my pic) Hold on!

1 comment:

  1. Holyfreekinkripes! NO PADDLES? What on earth are they thinking??? And those rapids look majorly S.E.R.I.O.U.S.

    Yep, the Vietnamese seem to favor extreme sports (or at least, they think foreigners favor them, and I guess they do). Here in Dalat, we're sort of known for extreme sports, canyoning, rappelling down waterfalls, etc.

    Uh, not for this wuss. You my dear, are far more fearless than I!

    ReplyDelete