Saturday, December 1, 2012

Lately...

I have been meaning to sit down and blog for the last couple of weeks.  Sometimes it seems that I just can't find the words for things that happen, so here are several snippets of happenings:


Thanksgiving:  Many countries have celebrations of their own for thankfulness, especially when connected with the annual harvest, so celebrating Thanksgiving in Vietnam wasn't so far of a stretch.  We also have a handful of American and other western expats living in Da Nang, so many of us came together for a traditional plate of delicious food at Bread of Life.  I had turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls, green beans and even pumpkin pie!  The one BIG difference between T-Day in America and T-Day here is that I had to go to work two hours later, feeling the full force of turkey pulling down my eyelids.  



The next day, I was thankful for leg muscles.  The one main attraction of Da Nang are our Marble Mountains.  In four months, I still hadn't been, so instead of walking through them and exploring with the rest of the throng of tourists, I decided to climb them.  It was a beautiful sunny day with a slight breeze and we climbed in the shade, making absolutely perfect conditions.  An adventure company of sorts arranged the climb and provided the gear, chalk, English speaking climbing guides (who belayed us), a delicious lunch, admission into the mountains with a short tour in the caves afterward all for $38.  A steal.
I surprised myself and residual abilities by flashing the first three routes with minimal beta.  The second two routes, after trying repeatedly and earning a nice flapper for my efforts, will be reserved for next time.  I highly recommend hooking up with Phat Tire Ventures if you find yourself wanting a little more extreme fun in Vietnam.  The marble sure is slick but also sharp, providing great holds.
The insides of the caves were pretty rad as well.  You can read more about the history here if you like.  The five "mountains" are named after the five elements and have some impressive marble carvings inside them and beautiful pagodas and Buddhist temples outside.  I'll likely go back to spend more time relaxing or for a second climb.


Back in August, I was told that there would be some wet, cold dreary months ahead of us...especially November.  It's now December 1st and we haven't had rain for almost two weeks.  Hold up.. two weeks??  Not only that, it's been about 80 every day and sunny.  Yesterday, on my day off, I leisured into Bread of Life for breakfast, went helmet shopping (mine had been recently stolen - bummer) and then headed to the beach for sun soaking and a swim.  This is a typical day off these days and I can't complain.  I almost don't want summer to come back because the temps will be so hot again.


There is one thing, however, that has presented itself as quite a problem in my wardrobe.  No, we don't have rats.  I took out a pair of shorts the other day that I hadn't worn in a few weeks.  They had a splotchy look to them and I couldn't quite figure out what the white haloed spots were until I brought them out into the light - MOLD!  My clothes are molding!  I was talking about this the other night with some friends who said they had retrieved a leather briefcase out of a closet the previous week and it had been covered in the smelly stuff.  Hailing from Chicago, the air doesn't feel uncomfortably humid here, but there is definitely a persistence of humidity.  Anything sitting in a closed drawer for a period of time will apparently be attacked, so I've just started hanging my things up outside the wardrobe and only keeping non-clothes items inside the contained areas.  

Well, I can't say I feel the same jolly feeling as I usually do in December.  There are many aspects of the holidays that I will miss this year, especially my family.  Consumerism isn't shoved down our every waking moment but there is Christmas music playing in most stores and fake trees in all sizes.  I haven't decided yet whether I'll miss the snow.  Every time I remember the joys of snow, then I think about being freezing and snap out of the nostalgia.  I think I'll trade the mittens for a bathing suit this year.  


Our river road, displaying year-round snow in Vietnam!





No comments:

Post a Comment