Thursday, October 18, 2012

It's Something Unpredictable, but in the end is right...

Try to imagine a life without timekeeping
You probably can't.  You know the month, the year, the day of the week.  There is a clock on your wall or the dashboard of your car.  You have a schedule, a calendar, a time for dinner or a movie.  
Yet all around you, timekeeping is ignored.  Birds are not late.  A dog does not check its watch.  Deer do not fret over passing birthdays.  
Man alone measures time.  


This new Albom book dropped into the Kindle right in a time when I've really been pondering that particular buzzword.    

Day to day time has changed so much.  I don't wear a watch, I severed ties with the dark side (back to using a "dumb phone" which is on ... sometimes), and I don't use a calendar.  I know when my volunteering and classes are and I make sure I'm prepped and on time to teach them.  

These changes...er...improvements have created a strange disconnect with life in America that I'm not sure is good or bad.  I have an indescribable sensation of being on a parallel universe - like everything at home is not in the same time that I'm in.
This feels strange, but it has positively affected my stress and anxiety levels.  After about a month, I stopped checking my bare wrist all the time and learned how to relax and be fully present.  I've enjoyed being restricted from the wandering mind's every google search and FB visit.

It has also been really enlightening to be surrounded by people of varying ages and home countries, all on different life paths.  I have tried to stop questioning whether I'm doing the right thing at the right time in my life. In the end, all any of us can do is shrug, and strive to live with passion, and without regret.  Would life be better or worse without the measurement of time?  Sometimes I wonder.


Pass time.  Waste time.  Kill time.  Lose time.  In good time.  About time.  Take your time.  Save time. A long time.  Right on time.  Out of time.  Mind the time.  Be on time.  Spare time.  Keep time.  Stall for time.  There are as many expressions with "time" as there are minutes in a day.  But once, there was no word for it at all.  

The Time Keeper
Mitch Albom



1 comment: